No-fuss planking routines to maintain your fitness even on vacation
By Ava Africa | Photo by Matthew Henry
I have to admit. I’m guilty of using this excuse when my friends and I would go on a summer outing: “It’s just a couple of days. I can get back on track as soon as I get back from this vacation.” Believing this big fat lie would actually get you exactly that – big and fat. So stay focused! What I have for you here are two simple workouts that you can do the moment you open your eyes from slumber. You won’t even have time to think of an excuse not to do it. No need to get up from the bed, get changed, or put on those shoes. Go straight to the heart of the matter! Here goes:
1. Half Reverse Plank. Slowly raise your body by leaning on your elbows making sure that your back is straight. Hold this position for one minute.
2. Full Reverse Plank. Without resting, go to full reverse plank by stretching your arms. Hold this position for a minute.
. Daily gratitude: That I live in a time when humankind has advanced technology, medicine, and creature comforts. How many times have you been exposed to a historical era, and thought, "I never coulda survived then!" . Well every time I practice this pose, I feel as though I'm in Medieval England and being put on The Rack. Well, I never coulda survived then!!! . Upward Plank Pose . Day 8: #LoveForBackbends ➡️View my collection for this challenge at #LoveForBackbendsLauriadora . Hosts: @themuscleboundyogi @lightfulyogini @shreeyoga @twistedgalpal . Sponsors: @onzie @dharmabumsactive @anapoenergy @aquaburns . #yoga #yogi #backbend #ladasana #yogapose #asana #core #strength #gaiam #window #sunlight #quiet #silence #plankpose #upwardplank #reverseplank #planks
3. Half Reverse Plank with Raised Leg. Without resting, go back to using your elbows for support. Slowly raise one leg keeping your back straight. Hold position for 30 seconds. Repeat with the other leg.
4. Full Reverse Plank with Raised Leg. Without resting, stretch out your arms for support. Slowly raise one leg keeping your back straight. Hold position for 30 seconds. Repeat with the other leg.
Day 5 #pursuitoftheglute is reverse table top. Happy Challenge hump day, but you're not showing any signs of being unmotivated! I love seeing all your strong posts. I never really practiced today's pose until I knew I needed to strengthen my glutes from my spine injury. It's now one of my favorite poses because it engages the glutes, stretches the shoulders and provides a gentle backbend. Swipe to see today's drills they will burn your 🍑these drills are super hard. If you can't move your 🍑through your arms on the last drill try placing hands on blocks, put on some socks and slide a little on hardwood floor. @kfann7 @oliobeauty @bloominglotusjewelry @honoryoganow @onetribeapparel
Reverse or upward plank is a great stretch for the front of your body. It helps strengthen your arms, shoulders, glutes and core muscles. It's also a pose which helps counteract tightness which occurs in the body from being hunched over for too long, whether that's from sitting in a car, at a desk or spending a long time looking at your phone. So create some space and give it a try! . . . . . . . . 📷 @tom_on_travel #upwardplank #reverseplank #purvottanasana #plank #corestrength #shoulderstrength #chestopener #yoga #yogagirl #yogalove #yogalife #asana #vinyasa #mobility #strength #corecontrol #healthyliving #sweatlife #fitness #movement #girlboss #bossbabe #metanoia #metanoiayoga #wherewillyogatakeyou #yourjourney
5. Repeat positions one to four twice.
1. Half Basic Plank. Facing the bed, slowly raise your body resting on your elbows. Hold this position for a minute.
Setup tips for plank on elbows with @kharper369 ➖➖➖ Common faults when performing the plank include a sagging back, piked hips, or overextended neck position. We must remember the following cues for an ideal plank of elbows: ✅ What to do: 1. Align elbows under shoulders with elbows parallel 2. Squeeze quads, butt, and belly 3. Tuck chin towards chest, stare at floor ❌ What not to do: 1. Look up with forearms angled inward 2. Sag belly towards floor 3. Send hips toward the ceiling 4. Bent knees ➖➖➖ #BespokeTreatments
2. Full Basic Plank. Without resting, slowly raise your body by stretching your arms, keeping your back straight. Hold the position for a minute.
3. Half Plank with Raised Leg. Without resting, go back to supporting your weight using your elbows. Slowly raise one leg keeping your back straight. Hold position for 30 seconds. Repeat with the other leg.
4. Full Plank with Raised Leg. Without resting, stretch out your arms for support. Slowly raise one leg keeping your back straight. Hold position for 30 seconds. Repeat with the other leg.
💛 The question is not only what can yoga practice give me, it's also what can I bring to my yoga practice 💛. . A sense of playfulness & curiosity are always a good qualities to bring 💛. . Wishing you a playful Tuesday. See you on the mat – #plankvariations joyfully waiting for you 💛. . . . . #tuesday #tuesdayfeels #yogistrength #plank #plankpose #corestrength #thirdchakra #manipura #yoga #yogapose #asana #strikeapose #playfulness #joy #curiosity #woodelement #workislovemadevisible #yogalove #yogaforeveryone #yogaeverydamnday #meditation #mindfulness #mindfulmovement #yinyoga #hathayoga #vinyasaflow #yogamentor #yogafrankstonsouth #morningtonpeninsula
5. Repeat positions one to four twice.
If either option will get you pumped up to do more, you may want to include the side plank as a variation to your workout. Remember, the key here is to build your core muscles so that they get used to burning fat. I highly recommend you do this exercise in the morning to jumpstart your metabolism for the day. Plus, this will give you the energy you need to make the most out of your day.