Easy to make and easy on the pockets, these two Potatoes USA dishes curated by chef Sau del Rosario and Diet Diva are designed to support your energy and nutritional needs
Turkey Potato Dinner Wraps
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
3/4 lb. US russet potatoes, cut into 1/2-inch diced
1 tbsp water
1 tbsp canola oil
3/4 lb. ground lean turkey
1 large carrot, shredded
1/3 cup sliced green onions with tops
1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
2/3 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1 teaspoon dried Italian herb seasoning or basil
Salt and pepper, to taste
4 large (9 to 10-inch) whole wheat or high fiber tortillas
Light sour cream (optional)
- Place potatoes in microwave-safe bowl. Sprinkle with water.
- Cover, venting one corner.
- Microwave on HIGH 5 to 8 minutes just until potatoes are tender. (Time will depend on wattage of your oven.)
- Meanwhile, heat oil in large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Add and break up turkey; cook 5 minutes, tossing occasionally. Mix in carrot; cook 2 minutes. Add potatoes and onions; cook and toss 2 minutes. Reduce heat to medium; mix in tomato sauce, cheese, and herbs.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, 4 to 5 minutes until mixture is hot and most of sauce is absorbed. Season with salt and pepper. On work surface, lay out tortillas. Place 3/4 cup hot turkey mixture on each; fold and roll up as for burritos.
- Cut in halves and place on serving plates. Accompany with sour cream, if desired.
Tacos de Papas
Prep time: 40 minutes
Cook time: 5 minutes
Serves 6 to 8
1/2 yellow onion
1 tbsp cilantro
1 cup Cholula hot sauce
Juice of 1 lime
10 oz. US russet potato, large diced
4 oz. US yellow potato, large diced
2 oz. US red potato, halved or quartered
2 oz. US purple potatoes, halved or quartered
2 oz. masa plus 2 ounces warm water
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tbsp butter
1/4 cup scallions, sliced thin
1. Cut tomatoes, onions, and jalapeño in half and charbroil until tender. Combine all ingredients in blender and purée until smooth.
1. Add potatoes to the tomato purée and cook until fork tender. Remove potatoes while reserving liquid. Roughly smash potatoes and add butter, cumin, scallions, and masa. Mix until thoroughly combined. Spread mixture over half the tortilla and fold over. Fry until crispy for about 2 to 3 minutes. Drain on paper towels and fill with garnish.
2. On a separate pan, sauté ground beef in olive oil, salt, and pepper, then add one serving while building each taco. This will be placed just before the garnish.
3. For garnish: shaved cabbage, diced tomato, and crumbled cotija cheese.
Visit www.potatoesusa-philippines.com or facebook.com/PotatoesUSAPhilippines to learn more about their global nutrition campaign for athletes.